Water retention happens when there is too much salt intake. Eating lots of salty foods results in weight gain as your body holds on to water. Due to hormonal changes, women also can retain water weights. It’s the reason why your weight spikes up when you have menstruation. Reducing the amount of salt in your diet releases the water weights.
What are the causes of water retention?
- Poor circulation in the leg veins. One of the known causes of water retention during pregnancy. It is also known to people who have varicose veins.
- Water retention due to PMS. The hormonal changes in your body during your period can hold water. Consuming unhealthy food and drinks can worsen retention. Water retention due to PMS on the HCG diet will be gone after your period. Continue your diet to prevent additional weight gain.
- Failure to restrict calorie intake. Increasing your calories during the VLCD can hold water weights. Avoid eating carbs and foods that have loads of sugar. Water retention can cause weight loss stalls as the body begin to hold water. Eat lots of fiber-rich foods to deal with retention.
- Medications. There are cases that you retain water because of the medicines you are taking. Avoid taking NSAIDs drugs as much as possible. Taking tablets for diabetes and hypertension also holds water weights. Drink lots of water to flush out water weights.
Other medications that cause water retention
- Diabetes drugs
- Blood pressure drugs
- Estrogen hormones
What will you do when you retain water during menstruation?
Stay calm and avoid panicking. Retaining water during your period or PMS is normal. Take a break from your HCG shots but continue your diet. Eat fiber-rich foods and protein to improve your fullness during the break period of taking HCG. Drink lots of water every day and wait until your period is gone. You can also incorporate light workouts to shake off excess calories.
How to stop weight gain and water retention during the HCG diet?
Eat less salt and avoid refined carbs during the VLCD. Monitor your weight every day. Avoid eating sugary foods during your period to prevent weight loss delay. Here are some guides to stop weight gain:
- Cook your meals at home. Eating at home gives you control over the ingredients you add to your foods. It lowers your risk from items that interfere with your progress. Avoid adding too much salt to your foods to ensure a faster weight loss.
- Avoid eating fatty foods. Be careful with the meats you consume during the VLCD. Remove the visible fats from the lean meat and avoid cooking them in oil. Eating fatty foods results in a weight-loss stall. The increasing deposition of fats in your body can hold more water weights.
- Count your calorie intake. Tracking your food intake is one way of avoiding weight gain. Count your calories and ensure you are not adding salty foods to your diet. Avoid eating dried fruits, canned vegetables, and pickles. These are sources of sodium that lead to water retention.