Protein is a macronutrient containing amino acids that helps in maintaining biological growth. It helps repair and build tissues and keep your metabolism. Protein also is beneficial in coordinating body functions and maintains structure.
During the HCG diet, eat at least 200 grams of protein every day on the VLCD. It is essential to meet the nutritional requirements of your body while losing weight. Protein aids the HCG in keeping the firmness of your muscles mass and avoid muscle loss.
What are the Protein-rich Foods You Can Eat on the HCG Diet
- Chicken breast
- Eggs (hard-boiled)
Plant sources of protein:
- Tofu (for loading phase)
- Avocados and almonds (for loading phase)
- Brussels sprouts
You can eat at least 100 grams of protein per meal but ensure you remove the visible fats before cooking. Avoid using oils when cooking your foods during the HCG diet because it can cause weight gain.
Eating protein on the HCG diet maintains satiety during the VLCD and, it also helps in fat-burning. Nonetheless, the value of protein from each food choice can change depending on how you cook them. Avoid adding flavorings, preservatives, and other unhealthy condiments when cooking on the HCG diet.
Can you have Protein Shakes and Bar on the HCG Diet?
Protein shakes are permissible but, it is tricky to find the product that does not interfere with your diet. Avoid buying protein shakes that contain sugar, starch, and other artificial sweeteners. Instead of snacking on protein bars, you can eat eggs (egg whites only) or 100 grams of cottage cheese.
Refer to the HCG diet food list if you are unsure of your food choices to avoid weight gain. Avoid buying store-bought versions of protein snacks because they already have added sugars and other unhealthy ingredients.
The functions of protein during the HCG diet:
- It maintains growth. Your body is dependent on the nutrients you get during the diet. It improves the growth of your muscle mass and boosts your metabolism.
- It causes biochemical reactions. Protein maintains several body functions in and out of the cell. It also improves breathing and prevents blood clots.
- Protein acts as a messenger. These are chains of amino acids that improve the signal of your body. It transmits information between your brain, tissue, and organs.
- It maintains your structure. Protein can preserve your muscle mass as you lose weight. It prevents saggy skin after the HCG diet. Eating protein during the HCG diet can provide strength, structure, and elasticity.
- It balances fluids. Protein regulates the body to process and promotes balance. It prevents inflammation in your body. Eating protein-rich foods can also maintain the balance of your blood and its surrounding tissues. It prevents water retention during the HCG diet.
- Protein boosts your immune system. It maintains the stability of your health during rapid weight loss. Protein can boost your immune system and protects the body from foreign invaders.
- Protein transports nutrients. It is responsible for processing the nutrients in your body. Protein transports the nutrients that your body needs and stores them to keep the balance in your system.